Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Disappearing Nine Patch Class

I am a member of the Port Curtis Patchwork Class. I voluntered to teach the members the Disappearing nine patch quilt technique. What a fun day it was. IT was amazing to watch the different combinations of the quilt appearing. Check out the photos of some of the quilts in progress. Its amazing how different they all look when they are made the same way.

This one is going to be amazing in red white and black. The middle square of the nine patch block was the red colour. The four corners of the block were the black with white print and the others were white with black print. Very effective hey!

This one is made using 3 different fabrics...

This one was made using the same background colour throughout and scrappy blue squares.











Doesnt the black squares on this one come to life! It was amazing watching this one grow. It will look amazing when finished.





This next one is going to be totally different again. This lady had two lovely turtle prints she wanted to incorporate into a quilt. YOu can see how we ended up placing her fabrics into the nine patch block (before cutting). The effect is going to be a stripey quilt! As the blocks come together the print fabrics are going to form a stripe accross the quilt and doesnt that aqua blue fabric just look like water!
The following are some of the other quilts the ladies have started on.

14 comments:

jennywren said...

Hi KA,
Looks like you had a wonderful class - so productive. Must have been the teacher... Isn't it great to see so much variety from one block?
Hugs
Jenny F

Cath Ü said...

KA my favourite is the second one.. I just love the colours in it... still think that if I ever take up the urge to make a quilt it will be this design... I think I could handle it...LOL
Cath Ü

Khris said...

Love the black and white...way to go Chris...I do love the greens too though...well done to everybody...hugs Khris

Karen Mallory said...

The quilts are great KA! I love the black,red and white one. Your students did such a fantastic job!
hugs Karen

Sharon-NZ said...

love them KA, I am going to give this a go - looks so effective

Anonymous said...

Hi KA, they are looking great, must have been a fun day and thanks for sharing.

Christine

Kucki68 said...

I am glad you showed the black and white one! I have a bunch of grey fabrics that I want to use and chouldn't figure out what to do with them. This is perfect!

Helen in the UK said...

WOW - what a fantastic range of colours used on those quilts. They all look wonderful - must have been a very successful workshop.
Hope it is ok if I link from the tutorial on my blog to this page to give other ideas :)

HOPE said...

I love these! So glad to have found you! Believe it or not..I have a stash I have collected of novelty black and whites with a red for a center..just didn't know which to make..NOW I DO!
I also have a faded memories collection and liked the one shown here also..

Great inspiration for an easy quilt!

Thanks..
Hope (who loves to Quilt)

Vicki said...

I love your black red and white disappering nine patch. got to add to my list. Vicki mc in SC

billie said...

i was inspired to create with b&w by ms kay m capps-cross (she is a wonderful lady).. my two finest creations are black & white log cabins, my latest creation is black and white with an abundant splash of green showing movement. i am a guy ( well, born a guy ) and i love to quilt.my darlin' wife took the time to reach me the basics a few years ago billie

Del Soden said...

blog that got me off my bum, away from the computer and cutting some D(P after thinking about them for about 6 months.
Thanks KA.
I needed you.
Cheers
D.

Lori said...

What beautiful pieces of art in progress! Mt absolute favorite is the second one, it is done with 3 fabrics. Would you be able to tell me which fabrics went where in the block? I would love to be able to do this! TIA

Roslyn said...

I see you are also a Bonnie Hunter quilter, & a friend of Khris. Khris & Glen stayed with us in Phx.AZ when they were in the USA in 2008. I stumbled upon your blog when I was looking for examples of D9P quilts to show a friend!